SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
jocandy
Style_council
jocandy

So recently I have been under some stress and i think that I might have been experiencing anxiety/panic attacks. Like I start freaking out and feel super anxious/nervous
Does anyone else get them? What do you do when you get them?
Thanks for your answers

posted over 7 years ago
vintageandblush
Style_council
vintageandblush

I’ve never had one, but one of my best friends gets them all the time, even at school. Her mom’s a nurse, so she told her to think of something else. Close your eyes and imagine something, something happy. Pretend it’s not really happening and try to picture yourself enjoying a day on the beach or eating your favorite food; anything to get your mind off of it!
I hope this helps :)

posted over 7 years ago

jocandy
Style_council
jocandy

thanks! Thats actually helpful to me, I’ll try that if I get one (which I hope I don’t)

posted over 7 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I have dealt with anxiety on and off for years. It usually comes around when I’m really, really stressed or depressed. I know what you’re going through and how scary it can be. Just remember that it’s only an anxiety attack that there isn’t anything really wrong with you (your body and brain will try to convince you otherwise). The most effective thing I’ve found for treating my anxiety is exercise. Even a simple walk can really help. Cool, fresh air does wonders for a racing mind. Doing some quick sprints can help release tension.

My therapist taught me some tapping techniques that are really helpful for when I can’t get up and walk (like when I’m driving). Here is a video that shows you some basics. If I’m in a crowded place, I just do a couple of them, like the hand one, so I just looking like I’m fidgeting instead of acting crazy ;)

Be kind to yourself. I don’t know if your stress is b/c of work, school, or personal issues, but take a break when you can. Know you are not a failure if you miss some homework, and you are not a let-down if you have to tell someone “no”.

posted over 7 years ago

jocandy
Style_council
jocandy

thank you soooo much catiekat, now I know some techniques to use and it makes me feel so much better to know that there’s other people out there that can relate to me because none of my friends have ever experienced an anxiety attack and they find it difficult to help me deal with it. but thank you, i really appreciate it!

posted over 7 years ago

jocandy
Style_council
jocandy

thank you so much giroux!

posted over 7 years ago

mercik
Style_council
mercik

I have them, and I have had them my whole life but didnt know what they were
I take nothing for them and just talk myself through them eventually they fade until another one happens….
It feels like youre gonna die though

posted over 7 years ago

Johnycque
Style_council
Johnycque

I don’t know if this will help anyone but I changed my diet to mostly organic food and stopped consuming diet beverages or anything else with aspartame in it. The panic attacks became milder right away and after about 6 months they were gone. I know it’s in me for them to come back so I just keep doing the same diet and try to reduce stress as much as possible.

posted over 7 years ago

crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

Hi Jocandy!

Everybody gets anxiety so just wanted to let you know that it’s normal as a way to reassure you. And also, you’re very brave for bringing such a serious issue since it’s usually seen a stigma today, even in U.S. where it’s thought that we can be “open to our feelings.”

However, if the anxiety persists (usually on a daily basis for more than two weeks or it’s not situational) then it may become a very problematic issue and can affect your health.

Here are a few ways to find out what’s making you anxious:
1. Like what @giroux said, make sure you’re not taking any kind of medication that may have some anxiety side effects – like what she said, birth control pills can really have serious side effects on some women.

2. If it’s situational (i.e., getting anxious before a test, etc.) then these anxiety feelings are normal because usually these things do make people nervous. But, it’s when you feel anxious all the time, even at situations that aren’t intense, then you can look into that.

Helpful links:
1. Tips On Reducing Anxiety
2. Tips For Reducing Stress

Here’s what personally helped me:
1. Doing stretches (similar to yoga) – Somehow they really relax me and make me feel like I’m alive!
2. Breathing deeply – Taking in deep breaths can really help you think on the situation and be calm about it. And it’ll help you make better solutions, cause we all know when we are anxious, we don’t make the best decisions.
3. Getting enough sleep – Of course, when I’m having a bad day, it’s usually because I had less sleep before! Make sure to get a good night’s rest before anything.
4. Try not to eat unhealthily – Have you ever felt that after eating fast food you get sleepy and feel lethargic? Well, I do, and it makes me feel worse, and sometimes it can aggravate your anxiety.

Of course, like what @catiekat, it never hurts to see a counselor/therapist because he/she can really help you on a personal basis to coach you on how to practice all these tips! Remember, it’s not bad to reach out, in fact it’s a good thing because you want to be healthy!

Hope all is well. Let us know if any of these work for you.

xx, C

posted over 7 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password