Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
talkanatalka
Style_council
talkanatalka

hey chictopians!!

so, i have been in and out of shape since high school, but sadly i have let myself coast along a little too long now and i am definitely a bit overweight. i’m working on fixing my eating habits first (smaller portions, more fruits/veggies/water, etc) because i have a crazy hectic schedule this year, but wanted to get some of y’all to chime in with advice.

how do you keep motivated to work out? what work outs do you do? what workouts do you hate? what do you do that can be done in your own room and not in a gym? any other suggestions?

i’m looking for some inspiration to get moving, great workout ideas, ways to fit it into my schedule…anything and everything! thanks so much :)

posted over 9 years ago
booboo21
Style_council
booboo21

Well i went though something simliar. i started eating better. whole grains, fruits, veggies, water, small portions help alot. but dont deprive ur body from food.

my workout would be running Three times a week and combining that with whole grains works wonders.
Because your body need to burn fat to convert it into muscle and it gets that strenght with whole grains.

Good luck on ur workout. And stay motivated by remebering your goals and why u are doing this.

p.s avoid foods with high frotuse corn syrup. that just makes you get even more hungry.

posted over 9 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I find having a strict routine helps me out. For instance, if you go to the gym, be specific and decide which days you will go; don’t just say “I’ll go twice a week” because you will always keep telling yourself, “Oh, I’ll just go tomorrow instead.” Tell yourself “Tuesday and Thursday are gym days” or “I will run on Wednesdays and Saturdays.” Mark your calendar if you need to.

That said, I usually like to avoid the need for scheduling all together and try to incorporate exercise into my daily life as much as I can. It helps that I live in a city/country where this is possible, but I bike and walk most places instead of driving: to work, to my friends’ houses, to the grocery store, etc. If I told myself to just go out and bike a given distance, I’d cheap out; however, if the only way I can get somewhere is by taking my bike, obviously I’ll bike the whole way because I want to get there! I end up biking for at least a half-hour nearly every day. It pays off to inconvenience yourself! (And I save so much money on gas :-P).

I also like to have something I can do every day conveniently in my house, because I don’t like going to the gym and sometimes outdoor exercise is unpleasant or impratical. I was targeting my belly and thighs for a while, and so I started a regular calisthenic exercise routine. (You can find lots of advice on what to include in something like this, based on your needs; personally I do 100 crunches with an exercise ball, leg-lifts, planks, squats, and lunges). I have done these EVERY NIGHT before bed for five years now. It’s gotten to the point where I feel wrong if I don’t do them— and they don’t take long; I just flip on my favorite shows and do them during the ad breaks— and just that little bit makes a huge difference in the long run. I went from hating my belly to being quite proud of it! It’s more toning than weight-loss, but it’s still something to look into.

Also, some encouragement: Once you get into healthy patterns and stay there for a while, they will feel easier. As I mentioned with my caliesthenics, you start to feel wrong when you STOP being healthy. It’s the same way with food, too; I find I actually am grossed out by really greasy fast food now and would PREFER some fresh fruit or a piece of grilled fish.

Best of luck!

posted over 9 years ago

talkanatalka
Style_council
talkanatalka

thanks so much!! this is great advice so far :)

i was abroad last semester and i actually lost TONS of weight in the beginning because i was walking everywhere and i lived in a city – it was awesome!! i live in a rural area though normally, so that kind of killed things for me when i got back. in high school i ran every other day with my friend, we were so motivating for each other and pushed each other and it really worked! i don’t have a workout buddy here though, so i really like the tv commercial suggestion!

posted over 9 years ago

Chicannie
Style_council
Chicannie

For me I don’t think of eating healthy and exercise as diet/weight loss. It’s all about lifestyle and the choices we make. That’s because otherwise, anything we do seems temporary. So whenever you have the choice (which should be often), just make the better one. Eg. Instead of an hour of reruns, jog with music. :D good luck!

posted over 9 years ago

prefecta
Style_council
prefecta

I posted a simple but really effective total body workout video in my blog a couple of weeks ago (and once I’m thru with this flu I’ll make (at least) another one with butt excersices). What you need for it is a pair of dumbbells, but you can improvise.

Luv, prefecta
http://anotherfabday.blogspot.com/2010/02/treenivideo-training-video.html

posted over 9 years ago

New_user 41457 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 41457 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I go to the gym everyday but it’s because it’s 2 minutes away from my apartment. Even though it is so close, the only real reason I go is for the Travel Channel. It’s on everyday and I can get (and stay on) the elliptical or treadmill for an hour at a time.

I know I should be doing weights too but I can’t bring myself to do it!

posted over 9 years ago

Nkarm1
Style_council
Nkarm1

Well if you want to not suffer while losing weight you should do exercise you think is fun and that you like doing. Try out different stuff and see what you like best. And don’t starve yourself or cut out important foods… Get accustomed to a diet you can live with even after you’ve reached your goals..

After trying everything, I’ve found out that dance is my thing. Have you heard about Zumba? I bought the dvds and it’s soooo great! It’s a great work-out, you feel your body burning calories, you sweat alot and you have fun. I don’t think of it as exercise, and therefor it’s easyer doing it. And after you’ve done it you feel awake and happy! I definatly recommend it! It’s a dance cardio work-out video… good luck!

posted over 9 years ago

yurikome
Style_council
yurikome

Hey,
I’m a person who really hates to move and sweat, so this has been hard for me at first but what worked for me was a combination of fixing diet habits (like you’re doing now) and even the slightest bit of movement that’s out of the ordinary routine every-day moving about. In my case – it was 10-20 minutes of jumprope every other day (sometimes 2 days apart). And I must say, after a few weeks I really not only felt but saw the difference. The good thing in this is: it’s really a short workout. You know exactly when it’s going to end, so it’s not overwhelming. Also, when you’re in a bit better shape and you do the 10 minutes easily you think “Oh what the heck, I’m not that tired, 5 more minutes!”
Hehe even writing about it made me want to find my rope right now.

(Also – belly dancing! there are tonnes of courses online, free videos etc. not only are you moving and getting cardio exercise – all your belly and thigh muscles get a strengthening workout. Plus you’re actually dancing, it doesn’t count as working out ;)

posted over 9 years ago

New_user 41457 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 41457 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

Also finding a sport or activity that you don’t see as a workout. I used to be a swimmer but never saw it as painful/un-fun. I always wanted to go to practice and had so much fun! I also snowboard and one day can leave you tired and sweaty but never feeling as though it was a work-out.

If you are in college, I would suggest joining an intramural sport team. They have all types of teams. Also you can get a group of friends to do it with you. I personally would join a sport I did in High School. A friend convinced me to do softball and I SUCKED but I tried and had fun.

posted over 9 years ago

itwentBOOM
Style_council
itwentBOOM

I found this really cool youtuber a couple months ago when I wanted to lose some weight.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ShellsFitness101

^ She has really good advice and exercise tips. :)

posted over 9 years ago

LittleWing
Style_council
LittleWing

There are some really good exercise dvds out. Like Zumba, or cheaper ones. i have some pilates ones and dance off the inches.

I also have a gym membership, if you get one/ have one, i would recommend going early morning. If i sleep in i get in a lazy mood and say i will go later and i dont. :(

posted over 9 years ago

xxmidnightkisses
Style_council
xxmidnightki...

for me, i actually eat smaller portions everyday. so everyday i would have like 5 meals.

& i try to work out everyday. i do some yoga, sit ups, etc (those types that you can find in magazines or online) & if the weather isnt so bad i go running down my place.

what keeps me motivated is that i have this crazy obsession over having a flat stomach & because ever since i started working out (which was a month ago) ive been on the most ridiculously good mood!

posted over 9 years ago

huongface
Style_council
huongface

That’s great that you’re working out!

my motivation is keeping healthy and wanting flat abs really badly. I also have a picture of a body that I totally want and its my reminder on my wall.

if you are at a gym, take the classes that are provided. if not, find a friend who will workout with you and read up on health magazines like women’s health.

overall is to be consistent with your workout and eating habit. Changing your lifestyle is definitely a big thing to getting fit.

good luck!

posted over 8 years ago

huongface
Style_council
huongface

oh! you can try p90x or other workout videos that can be very helpful.

posted over 8 years ago

ayeesha
Style_council
ayeesha

i walk in the morning to get my system start running. it’s a great stress-free workout.

posted over 8 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password