SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
LittleWing
Style_council
LittleWing

apologies if there has already been a thread like this!

so yeah, title is self explanotory! :)

talk about anything you like;
-why you became a vegetarian
-how people react
-favourite foods
-does it affect your health

blah blah :)

posted over 9 years ago
heck
Style_council
heck

@licarinicole I hate it when people ask what you do eat then. It’s like “let me list every single thing I eat because you seem to think there are only 10 things”. I hate that question.

@AsianGoddess I am Vegan and have been for four and a half years. I don’t find there to be a lack of food for me too eat, or for anything to get redundant.
After seeing all the things about the dairy industry I couldn’t continue eating/supporting it so I stopped. There are a lot of great replacements (almond milk is great! even my mom drinks it and she’s not vegan). So I recommend you try it, even though at first it’s hard, but it gets better/easier I promise! But you need to make sure you’re getting EVERYTHING your body needs!
If you have any questions you can ask me and I’ll help as much as I can.

posted over 9 years ago

heck
Style_council
heck

And anita_spaeth it’s also cheaper to not buy meat! :)

posted over 9 years ago

kelllosaurus
Style_council
kelllosaurus

I know a few of you mentioned that you grew up in “meat and potato” households and I was wondering how difficult it was to become vegetarian/vegan. My boss challenged me to go vegetarian for a week not too long ago and I found it surprisingly very hard because I eat meat with lunch and dinner every day. Yes, and I’m one of those people that asks “even chicken?” when someone says they don’t eat meat. It’s just out of habit and I literally met a vegetarian for the first time this year.

posted over 9 years ago

anita_spaeth
Style_council
anita_spaeth

that too. haha. and im too lazy to take the time and compare prices and stuff. plus, animals get tape worms and i kinda dont even feel like risking the chance of contracting some disease or infection from eating meat considering theres already that chance with every other food.

posted over 9 years ago

LittleWing
Style_council
LittleWing

Finally checking in on my thread ! :)
Thankyou all very much for the comments, its lovely to read them.

Last night me and my dad had this huge debate. Vegetarianism vs meat eating. And my dad and nan were almost speechless at the end, i dont think i had ever been so fired up and angry LOL. But he understood where i was coming from.

On the slip side, i am eating a very colourful salad, cucumber, tomato, carrot and pear :) mmm

posted over 9 years ago

snow
Style_council
snow

As a child I never liked eating meat. I am also allergic to dairy. So, I don’t eat any dairy or animal or meat products. Yeah, people think it’s weird and try to get me to “cheat” all the time… but I have no interest in that… I don’t miss meat or dairy in the least. I take vitamins and supplements and am careful about what I eat so that I make sure I get enough nutrients. It’s not that difficult.

posted over 9 years ago

borderpatrol
Style_council
borderpatrol

I’m working myself up to being a vegetarian haha. I just recently eliminated meats except for fish and such. I made the switch mostly for environmental reasons.

posted over 9 years ago

maliamazing
Style_council
maliamazing

i’ve done it twice before for a month each and i really wanted to do it again so i am doing it now but its so hard when everyone around you eats meat but i’ve gotten used to it and i love it, i mean i do miss some meat dishes but i’ll see how it goes. I just wish everyone would back me up on my decision. It would be much easier if i lived on my own :/
Oh and i hate people who wear fur! its disguisting!

posted over 9 years ago

lafilleatomique
Style_council
lafilleatomique

I’ve only been vegetarian for two months, but began phasing out meat at the start of 2010, cutting out red meat, then pork, then going full vegetarian. I did it for both health and moral reasons.

I don’t get much of a reaction, as I live in a very vegetarian-friendly city. The majority of my favorite bars offer tons of veg/vegan options and my boyfriend is also vegetarian, so there’s almost no outside impact.

I’m a huge fan of TVP (texturized vegetable protein) as a replacement for ground meat. I make a killer buffalo “chicken” cheesesteak!

The only negative reaction I’ve had is complete lack of energy. I find myself falling asleep around 9:00. Daily protein shakes have been helping, but I think I’ve got to start regulating my iron intake as well.

posted over 9 years ago

LittleWing
Style_council
LittleWing

@Laura: dont hesitate to ask. If i cant answer, I’m another vegetarian/ vegan on here can. :)

@maliamazing: It’s really not that hard to eat a vegie diet around people who are eating meat. Its really not tempting at all, after time if anything, its revolting. Once you become a vegie, you wont be tempted by things you used to eat. So many more choices out there.

posted over 9 years ago

LittleFemale
Style_council
LittleFemale

I have been a vegetarian for 3 years (going on 4). I became a vegetarian when I was 17. One day, my mom made chicken and thought it looked super gross! So that was my cue to stop eating meat.

At first, my family had a hard time adjusting to my choice, but now they are very supportive. My brother (who is only 17) joined me and has been a vegetarian for a year now.

My favorite food to eat is anything with eggplant. There is a delicious dish at Panda Express called “Eggplant Tofu or Tofu Eggplant.” Let me tell you, you will go nuts when you try it. Super good!

Oh yea, I am pretty healthy. I haven’t had any health problems at all. I go to the doctor at least once a year and they have said I am doing pretty good.

posted over 9 years ago

Reybeltane
Style_council
Reybeltane

I always call myself the quasi-veggie. I live with two veggies and mostly eat vegetarian—I’ve even learned to love the taste of veggie patties over burgers. But sometimes when you’re at the mercy of a restaurant or someone else’s kitchen, there’s just more options when you’re an omnivore. Maybe I’ll be awesome enough to go full veggie someday. But i’m still working on it. :-(

posted over 9 years ago

LittleWing
Style_council
LittleWing

@ Cocodubai, thats your opinion. Many vegetarians will say its improved their health.

@ Little Female, i wish my boyfriend would do the same

posted over 9 years ago

LittleWing
Style_council
LittleWing

Here is a recipe for a Mushroom pie (its from a vegetarian cook book i have) its simple and soooo yummy.

125ml (4 fl oz/ 1/2 cup) olive oil ( i found this made the pie a litte too oily! – might want to use less or some butter?)
1 leek, white part only, sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1kg large feilds mushrooms, wiped clean and roughly chopped
1 teaspoon of chopped thyme
300ml (10 1/2 fl oz) pouring / whipping cream
1 or 2 sheets of puff pastry
1 egg yolk, beaten
ALSO…some ramekin dishes http://www.johngiles.com.au/Images/C…y/Ramekins.jpg or something similar.

1. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F). Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a frying pan. Saute the leek and garlic over a medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the leek is soft and translucent. Transfer to an empty bowl, set aside.

2. Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan over high heat. Add the mushroooms in 2 or 3 batches and cook, stirring frequently, for 5-7 minutes per batch, or until the mushrooms have released their juices and are soft and slightly coloured. Transfer each cooked batch into the bowl with the leek.

3. When all mushrooms are cooked place them back into the frying pan with the leek and add the thyme and stir in the cream. Stirring occasionally, cook for 7-8 minutes, or until the cream has reduced to a thick sauce. Remove from the heat and season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Divide amoung four ramekins (or whatever dish you have) make sure they are oven proof.

4. Cut the pastry into rounds slightly larger then each dish. Brush the rim of the dish with the egg yolk, place pastry rounds on top and press down to seal the rim. Brush tops with remaining egg yolk.

5. Place dishes in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes

posted about 9 years ago

IndigoWhisper
Style_council
IndigoWhisper

I’m a vegetarian, soon to go vegan:)

I enjoy food to the fullest, It was a shock for my parents since I come from a mainly meateating culture. I have been refusing to eat animal products since early childhood just because I found them disgusting, but now I realize all the benefits and moral sides to this kind of diet. I try to incorporate microbiotics into my diet as much as I can, and I advise others to do so as well.

posted about 9 years ago

amyf515
Style_council
amyf515

im really considering not eatting meat because of the SVU episode i just saw…….. im sure its not complete fabrication. also i read rachel carson’s silent spring excerpt. ive never tasted vegetarian ‘meat’ before but im guessing it cant be that bad!

posted about 9 years ago

love_aesthetics
Style_council
love_aesthetics

like borderpatrol I also try to eat as little meat as possible because of enviromental reasons. But after not having had meat for a while even the smell of it makes me sick. Did you guys have the same? At the beginning of cutting out meat, really having cravings for it, but after a while not even liking it anymore?

posted about 9 years ago

cakewithlegs
Style_council
cakewithlegs

i tend to eat pretty vegetarian on my own because i just like that kind of food. however, i also like fish and seafood too much to go veggie. i try not to eat too much meat also for environmental reasons, but when i feel like i’m iron-deficient or something, meat is a go-to source for me. also, my family is a big meat-eating family so i eat meat every day when i’m home from school and cutting meat from my diet would mean the death of me. my mom and dad would strongly disapprove.

posted about 9 years ago

MissSmile1423
Style_council
MissSmile1423

I used to be a vegetarian, but my mom made me stop. I don’t know why, but she was pretty convinced I’d die of malnutrition.

posted about 9 years ago

eeEmily
Style_council
eeEmily

I decided to go pescatarian (which is like a vegetarian with the exception of seafood) because I wanted to sorta challenge myself. I went for a month and then another and another and soon half a year had went by. Maybe some day I’ll try to go vegetarian, or even vegan! who knows?

posted about 9 years ago

elisabella
Style_council
elisabella

Hi there everyone! I have been vegetarian for four years, now vegan for six months :)

I’ve influenced my sister to become a vegetarian as well, but my parents are definitely way too stubborn.

posted about 9 years ago

LittleWing
Style_council
LittleWing

@IndigoWhisper: My dad used to tease me a lot and had a reaction of, “not again” (because i used to be a semi vegie). But now his pretty cool about it. I managed to take him to a vegetarian restaurant and made him try mock meat :D

Also, what are microbiotics?

@cakewithlegs: I am just pointing out that being a vegetarian or vegan your choice. Its like anything else you want to do! Dont shy away from it because your parents or friends might disapprove!

@eeEmily: I love seafood so much too. However i am strong and dont eat it (not meant to be an insult). My dad actually goes fishing, he also catches crayfish, crabs, squid…and sometimes buys other seafood. So most of our freezer has fish in it.Great .

@elisabella: thats awesome! i’m not sure if i will become vegan or not…I managed to influence a friend to go vegie too :)

posted about 9 years ago

chelseypaige
Style_council
chelseypaige

I became a vegetarian when I was ten because I read too much on the internet, lol. I always loved animals, and stumbled across a PETA website. Although I don’t agree with a lot of peta’s radical actions, it did make me feel differently about what I ate and put in my body. I tried to eat meat that night, and couldn’t bring myself to [ever again].

My parents were FURIOUS! I guess I should mention that my twin sister decided to stop eating meat at the same time, so this changed my mom’s daily cooking routine very drastically. My parents thought it would be a phase, so they let us get away with it for the first week or so, but once they realized it was serious, they threatened to cut off the internet, and took us to a nutritionist (who, btw was a vegetarian and totally supported us, lol).

Other than that, I decided to tell a few of my school friends and they made fun of me :[ one of my teachers even made jokes about slaughtering pigs just to upset me! My dad found out and lost his mind. Really, who picks on a ten year old?

Anyway, after a year or so, everyone adapted and it just became normal in my lifestyle. My parents split up year, so my mom stopped cooking anyway, and subway became a foodgroup in our house (and is still my favorite thing!)

My favorite foods are definitely Asian style tofus with veggies, cheese pizza, subway, and lots of salads. Oh, and nachos of course.

It’s been 12 years since I quit eating meat, and I feel pretty good overall. I have my bloodwork done every year, and it’s always normal (to my surprise). I get tired a lot and my boyfriend swears it’s because I forget to take my vitamins, but other than that I’m fine! I think if I ate meat I would probably gain a lot of weight too. Being a vegetarian definitely makes me think outside the box and incorporate vegetables and proteins into my diet in other ways.

posted about 9 years ago

LittleWing
Style_council
LittleWing

Nice long read :)

I wonder if the day will ever come when people make fun of others for eating meat >_> (i wish!)

posted about 9 years ago

tanyabell
Style_council
tanyabell

@licarinicole…My dad thought I was “trending”, too. :\ BUT, that was over 10 years ago! XD

Ever since I was younger, I was a picky eater. I would tear apart my chicken nuggets and sausage and ask what the various colored specks were. In turn, I probably only ate 1/4 or less of it. I never liked eggs and always insisted that it was a baby chicken…the concept first hitting me when I was in early elementary school. I also, stopped eating hot dogs in the 2nd grade when my teacher told me what they were. As for milk, I stopped drinking it [off and on] starting my freshman year of high school when I found out that various fat particles were floating around in the liquidity substance.
Then, around Thanksgiving sophomore year I read an ad in Teen Magazine where I could adopt a turkey for Thanksgiving for $25 and it would not be eaten. There was a sanctuary farm and the proceeds would go there. I was so eager to do so, but lost the issue under my bed until the following year. That year I vowed to never eat turkey again and that was over 10 years ago! I worked my way out of meat slowly, as I would often pass out because I was not eating right. It was especially hard at first, because my family would not cater to my wants/needs vegetarian wise. I ate solely tuna fish and chicken for 2-3 years and then went full veg in August 2003….7 years ago. :) It has been the best decision I have ever made!
I do not take vitamins or supplements, as I believe that if I “need” those things then I must not be eating correctly. I also usually only eat eggs when in a baked good or such, although, very seldom I will eat something with egg WHITES. I also drink soy milk instead of cow’s, but do eat Greek yogurt [the only dairy based yogurt w/o gelatin!]. As for wearing animal products, I NEED non-slip shoes for my job and they only come in leather. Also, I do usually buy leather belts, because my others break too easily. Otherwise, I REFUSE to wear fur and otherwise stray from leather.
Anyway, I appreciate this and other such posts because I only know one other couple that are vegs and this lifestyle hasn’t always been the easiest and will continue to be difficult. I hope you all do not mind, but I basically added anyone on here that was a) vegetarian and b) active. Feel free to add me, too [anyone else], as I always love talking about such things! :)

posted about 9 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password